It can be scary to handle fragile or archival documents—one wrong move could irreversibly compromise or ruin the item. Knowing you’re holding or storing the only copy of a document or photograph is a lot of pressure.
Over time, the repeated handling and movement of historical documents can cause wear and tear, decreasing the value and utility of the document for the future. So how can historical documents be viewed and preserved without harm?
Scanning Historical Documents in Maryland
First, let’s consider how you should handle fragile historical documents:
- Always handle fragile items in a clean space with no objects or fluids nearby that could easily cause damage.
- Wear gloves when handling historical photographs—oil and fingerprints from your hands can cause permanent damage.
- Keep food, drinks, and smoke out of the space in which you’re handling the documents.
- Don’t use paper clips, rubber bands, tape, or glue on the documents and never fold them, as the creases can cause ink and other markings to fade permanently.
- Store documents flat in a cool, dry, and dark environment.
The best way to preserve historical documents is to have them scanned and digitized by a professional imaging service. You could scan the documents yourself, but you likely don’t have the best equipment or experience to handle and convert fragile documents on your own. Once a document is damaged, it can never be restored to its original state—so why not let the document scanning experts at QFI, Inc. handle the job?
Benefits of Hiring a Professional for Document Scanning
Here are some reasons to let a professional imaging company scan your historical documents for you:
- We know what we’re doing. We’ve provided document scanning and records management services to Washington, D.C. and the surrounding areas for over 30 years.
- We have the tools. While scanning a modern-day photograph or document is relatively simple, handling historical documents requires specialty equipment and the utmost care. We have various scanners designed for different types and sizes of documents, so we can find the perfect fit for your archival items.
- We can scan large numbers of documents. If you have many documents that need to be scanned and digitized, it can take significant time away from your normal operations to do it all yourself. Let QFI take the task off your hands and give you the peace of mind that your historical documents are being handled by experts.
Before you decide to scan any fragile or historical documents, you should consult an imaging expert who can give you suggestions for the best way to preserve the items. You don’t want to make a mistake that results in permanent damage to important historical records!
Document Scanning and Preservation with QFI in Maryland
We are a Maryland-based scanning company that specializes in helping businesses go digital. For more than 30 years, we’ve helped countless companies, government agencies, and non-profit organizations preserve, convert, and manage their documents. We use only the best technology to scan a variety of items including:
If you need document scanning services for historical or fragile documents in Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, New Jersey, or Washington, D.C., contact QFI today!